Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad

I've always been a daddy's girl and my dad and I formed a special bond as I became interested one of his passions, art. Of course he showed me how to do the traditional things dads teach you, shoot and dribble a basketball, throw a punch, ride a bike, change a tire, check my oil level, use the gazillion remotes to operate a TV, etc... But he also taught me how to sketch a face, draw a landscape, paint with watercolors, acrylics and oils. I remember sitting by his side while he sketched and painted on his easel, watching his every movement in awe. Eventually, I stumbled upon his SLR and remember the distinct feeling that I could do amazing things with this camera, if I could just figure out how to operate it. I knew he was a photographer way back before I came into the picture, but for some reason, it never registered. All of I sudden a light bulb went on. I felt like a found the holy grail, a dad with an SLR who can teach me how to use it! Jack pot! He took the time to show me how it worked, how I should frame my pictures through the lens using the rule of thirds and triangles, to keep the horizon straight, to look for the unexpected and not always focus on the obvious. I'd show him my pictures and he'd critique them with me, teaching me more and more each time. Through his passion, I found my own and a new calling. My dad bought me my first SLR and for that I will be forever grateful. He not only gave me life, but has helped me find a purpose in it as well.

Thanks Dad! Happy Father's Day!
A dad's version of dress up...

No comments:

Post a Comment